Saturday, April 30, 2011

Moving closer to the face of God

The other day I was trying to tell Abbagail something and she was having a hard time focusing on me. We try to get out children to look us in the eye when we talk to them so they can learn to be attentive and also so we know that they have heard what we said. Abbagail was so distracted as I was talking to her and she was getting kind of frustrated that I kept asking her to look at me. In her frustration she brought her face very close to mine while I was talking to her. All of a sudden she had no problem paying attention to me and what I was saying. She maintained her eye contact and got the message.

I couldn't help but think of my own relationship with God while I was talking to Abbagail. The closer I seek the face of God, the more able I am to focus on Him and what he is telling me. As we move closer, the distractions become less. It takes so much more thought though and takes being very intentional about what we do. I, along with most people, have so many distractions around me. There are so many things I am pondering right now and we are trying to get through a situation that has left us with a huge sense of betrayal and frustration. I have never felt this type of feeling to this degree. It has given me such an opportunity to focus on myself and the hurt that I feel, but my daughter reminded me that this will continue to have my attention unless I move closer to the face of God. What are my distractions? What do I think is necessary, and what really is a distraction wearing the costume of necessity? Who are the people around me that are seeking the face of God, and who is just playing the game? Who are the people around me that need to see me seeking the face of God instead of trying to figure out what just happened? If I expect Abbagail to focus on Jason and I without distraction, then I must be willing to set the example. She needs to see my heart fixed on what matters and not what has the ability to steal my joy on a daily basis.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment